ScrippsAVID is a video chat app based on OMA (AVID stands for Arts-based, Virtual, Intergenerational, and Dementia-friendly). ScrippsAVID will connect older and younger adults to share visual art, music, poetry, and stories via a dementia-friendly video chat. It’s aim is to reduce loneliness among generations and bridge the age divide. The program is based on OMA’s successful transition to virtual programming in the last 5 semesters. Below is an example activity.
All drawings and photos by E. Lokon
Gather these supplies before you begin:
- Black fine-tip pen
- Black marker
- 3 kitchen/office utensils (e.g., spoons, spatula, scissors, phones, mugs)
- Find 3 kitchen/office utensils with interesting shapes but not too complex.
- Use the fine-tipped black pen, trace one utensil at a time, overlapping shapes.
- Repeat step 2 until paper is full with shapes.
- Use the thicker marker to select certain shapes to fill in.
- Darken some, not all, lines with the thicker marker.
- Add embellishments
Use the questions below to connect your drawing to real-life stories:
- What is your favorite dish to cook or bake? What about your favorite meal to eat?
- Who do you normally cook with or for?
- How did you learn to cook?
- What family traditions or customs involve food in your family?
- Tell me a story related to cooking or baking.