Welcome to “Birthday Collage.” This lesson shows how to create a homemade birthday card using scraps of colored tissue paper and glue.
In this lesson, you will learn to:
- Guide your care partner in creating a unique birthday or other holiday card
- Learn when to assist and when to encourage your care partner to make their own decisions
- Learn to slow down the whole art-making process
Please gather these materials before you start:
- Watercolor paper or a blank birthday card
- Scrap paper
- Various colors of tissue paper
- Mod Podge diluted with water (1:3 glue to water. May use Elmers’ glue)
- Bowl to serve the Mod Podge
- Brush for the Mod Podge
- Rags/paper towel
Set aside 30 minutes with your care partner for this session.
Please take a moment to review Care for the Caregiver before beginning this lesson.
You may also watch the individual steps for this lesson. Each of the five steps below will guide you and your partner through the special techniques for this lesson. To make sure you get the most out of this lesson, make sure to move through each step in the order they are presented. And remember – have fun!
- Consciously Breathe
2. Sing & Move
3. Call & Response
4. Create Together
5. Savor the Moment
Print the entire lesson plan for “Birthday Collage” here.